Thursday, September 4, 2008

out of the loop

african people have always been out of the loop. a lot of indigenous people are out of this loop. no one notices. up to now africa and indigenous peoples, even at this time when the united nations established the un forum on indigenous issues and many nations' governments have formed agencies for tribal affairs, are still the vaunted ghost men and women. like ralph ellison wrote in his novel, The Invisible Man:

It goes a long way back, some twenty years. All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory. I was naive. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: That I am nobody but myself. But first I had to discover that I am an invisible man!
in asia, latin america, in many other places around the world, this is also true. for this reason, so much has to be done to change the way things are right now. from government programs and responses, the private sector's general attitude and behavior towards africa and media, church as well as other basic sectors' approaches to africa.

it is not yet too late to do something, instead of perpetuating the hardships and pain of africans.

No comments: